Monday, January 16, 2012

Non-winter wonderland

Again, I know it has been a long time. But life is SO busy! Between classes, work, and trying to see Leighton, I have zero free time to write. I don't even have time now, seeing as though I need to review some natural resource plans for tomorrow slew of meetings and finish making my website for my new GIS class. Which, by the way, I think will be a very useful class. If you are curious about what maps I'm making, check out https://sites.google.com/site/stephaniesgissite/

So since I last wrote, Leighton and I got engaged. We are currently planning a wedding for September 2, 2012. But we still need to confirm dates for the reception site and officiator. We also went to Texas for XMas and saw the Graham/Squyres clan. I went to Hawaii for The Wildlife Society conference, and Leighton went to China (as well as Canada and other states in the US) for work. This is going to be a year full of events. Besides the wedding, we are going to Turks and Caicos for Spring Break. I have two conferences at which I will present my research, one in Utah and another in Colorado (and maybe at the national TWS one in Portland). Leighton began graduate school, doing a professional MBA at the University of Utah. Does that mean that we are now at rivaling state schools? Guess so. Oh well, the only sport worth watching at this school is hockey. And cough cough, USU tends to beat UofU. With this MBA program comes the commitment to stay in Utah for another two years. Leighton's work almost transferred him to Austin. He thought I would be thrilled about this. But Texas=private property and little opportunity for natural resource work unless you want to check water quality or be a game warden. So, I hopefully have a higher possibility of gaining a wildlife job in Utah once I complete my Master's.

Funds have definitely depreciated over my stint as a grad student. My project should be funded until next spring, but something tells me that my advisor is going to cut off my stipend in December. This will be very frustrating, but I am preparing myself. If he cuts me off early, I'll be looking for jobs. Which means less time writing, but that's his choice. If he wants me to finish (which I do as well), he should continue to pay me. If Republicans go into office, I am afraid that even more funds will be cut (based on recent legislation action). But that's a whole other story. Crazy times for politics and I'm not in the mood to discuss that now....but you all know that I have strong opinions on those matters and I hope you are all staying educated and informed.

Ah yes, and the non-winter wonderland is because Utah aka "the best snow on earth" has only received about an inch of snow in the past month. The ski resorts are almost all closed and it looks like June out there--except it's cold. We're supposed to get hit again this week, so we'll see. This was more of an update blog, but I'll try to write an opinionated, interesting one soon. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Steph! I am glad you wrote this, so I could catch up. I got your call but ironically you chose to call during the only 3 days I have worked since Nov! Though I've been busy with other stuff, but we will catch up soon. Bummer about the funding, and yeah I'm scared my job might disappear if Republicans keep chipping away at the Forest Service budget as well. That's great you are going somewhere for spring break! I don't even know where those countries are, ha ha. When is the Colorado presentation? MISS YOU!!

    ReplyDelete