Thursday, March 24, 2011

What it's all about

Wow. Where do I start? What about where they made me start...at the title. So, I'm sure you are thinking, why would someone include constipation in their title? Well, exploration constipation is how I am feeling today. I wish it was more like exploration feel good or exploration excitement, but that just isn't the case. Why? Because in the past year the only exploration that I have been able to do has been limited to family visits. Okay, I did make a nice long road trip by going up through Idaho and Glacier to get over to Seattle, but since then it has been non-stop work.

So, what's the point of this blog? I'm still not totally certain myself, but I feel like it may be an outlet for some of my many thoughts that float, unabated through my head each day. Like today...people don't believe in global warming, but come to Utah and witness rain rather than snow all winter and then tell me what you think. Yes, being a scientist I should be reciting lines like "You must look at the different models and analyze them. Then understand how different models can indicate various results." But my current thought is more in the realm of "Everyone says Utah has the best skiing in the nation. I'm certainly seeing much more wet precipitation this year."

Back to real news. Tim and Jill, Leighton's childhood friends, just had their second baby girl. Rodrigo, my good friend and officemate, is expecting his first child this summer, so I am busy with some of the other grad students, putting together a baby shower--Brazilian style. Oh, and lets not forget that Leighton just had a baby named after him--by some friend of his in Wisco. Work has been busy. When you decide to do wildlife biology as a career, some of the explanation for why this was your career of choice relates to you inability to deal with humans...or at least for myself. So it is interesting to watch everyone interact. Everyone has different ways to accomplish each task and if disagreements arise, well lets just say that it's interesting.

That blog was cut short, so now it's Friday. Yesterday was a very long intense day. With work in the morning and class/meetings until 8pm, I was ready for some homemade pizza (okay, it's really frozen pizza with additional fresh toppings-cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, and spinach). Oh, and it rained all day. If you ever wonder about what happens to clay or sandy soil when it rains, come to Utah. It is a bit embarrassing to drive a state vehicle that is completely caked in mud, but hey, it's part of the job. Well, that's about it for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment